Medford, OR – August 17, 2023 – The Oregon Wine Experience is thrilled to announce the remarkable achievements of the 2023 Oregon Wine Competition. With a record-breaking number of submissions from nearly 100 prestigious wineries across the region, this year’s competition showcased the unparalleled quality and diversity of Oregon’s wine industry. The winners of this illustrious competition were revealed today at the highly anticipated Medal Celebration on Thursday, August 17, 2023.
This year’s competition was met with an overwhelming response, as 371 exceptional wines vied for top honors across various categories. A distinguished panel of judges, including renowned experts such as Wayne Belding, MS, Mike Dunne, Ellen Landis, CS, CSW, Adam Lapierre, MW, Clare Tooley, MW and Vincent Morrow, MS meticulously evaluated each submission to identify the true gems of Oregon’s winemaking prowess.
The medal counts are a testament to the exceptional quality on display:
- 161 Silver medals
- 55 Gold medals
- 33 Double Gold medals
- 6 Best of Class awards
- 3 Best of Show accolades
The winners of the 2023 Oregon Wine Competition have truly captured the essence of Oregon’s terroir and craftsmanship.
Among the prestigious awards are:
- Best of Show – White: Blakeslee Vineyard Estate 2021 Infinity Assemblage Chardonnay
- Best of Show – Red: Resistance Wine Company 2018 Syrah
- Best of Show – Specialty: Maison Jussiaume 2019 Blanc de Blancs
The competition also recognized excellence within specific categories:
- Best of Class – Chardonnay: Blakeslee Vineyard Estate 2021 Infinity Assemblage Chardonnay
- Best of Class – Pinot Noir: Blakeslee Vineyard Estate 2019 Estate Reserve Pinot Noir
- Best of Class – Rosé: Del Rio Vineyard Estate 2022 Grenache Rosé
- Best of Class – Syrah: Resistance Wine Company 2018 Syrah
- Best of Class – Malbec: Resistance Wine Company 2019 Malbec
- Best of Class – Red Blend: RoxyAnn Winery 2019 Claret
“We are absolutely thrilled to celebrate the outstanding achievements of our wineries and their exceptional wines at the 2023 Oregon Wine Competition,” said Silas Cook, Manager, Oregon Wine Experience.
“This year’s competition has not only set a new record for participation but has also highlighted the incredible talent and innovation within Oregon’s wine industry,” added Andrea Reeder, Senior Vice President and Chief Philanthropy Officer, Asante.
The Medal Celebration on August 17, 2023, was a night of revelry as the Oregon wine community gathered to honor the hard work, dedication and passion that go into creating each bottle of Oregon wine. The event provided an opportunity for wine enthusiasts, industry professionals and the public to join in the celebration and raise a glass to the success of Oregon’s winemakers.
This panel of experienced judges individually scored 371 wines based on quality, typicity, balance and structure at the Oregon Wine Competition:
- Wayne Belding, MS is a geologist turned oenophile
- Mike Dunne is a freelance wine writer based in Sacramento, California
- Ellen is a published Wine Writer, Certified Sommelier, Certified Wine Specialist, Wine Educator and Professional Wine Judge
- Adam Lapierre became a Master of Wine in 2013, and is the President of Vinfolio, one of the country’s leading merchants in the collectible fine wine space.
- Clare lives in Napa and is the VP of Guest Experience for the Boisset Collection.
- Vincent Morrow has earned a long list of accolades – In 2022 alone, he was named the Michelin Guide California’s Sommelier of the Year, VinePair’s Next Wave Sommelier of the Year, and the Iconoclast Dinner Experience Wine Honoree.
- Byanca Godwin, an alternate judge, is a wine educator based in Los Angeles, California.
“I think the diversity of Oregon, in general, is paramount, specifically when you get outside the Willamette,” said Vincent Morrow, Master Sommelier. “I am a big believer in diversity in many ways, so I really think there is a lot to be gleaned from the different microclimates here.”
The Oregon Wine Competition continues to expand its reach throughout the state. Wineries can submit their wines to Oregon Wine Competition each year between April and June. To learn more about Oregon Wine Competition or view the Medal Celebration ceremony, visit: www.theoregonwineexperience.com/wine-competition/.
About Oregon Wine Experience®
Since its inception in 2015, Oregon Wine Experience® (OWE) has raised more than $10.4 million, benefiting Children’s Miracle Network and other healthcare programs funded by Asante Foundation. Asante is a local, community-owned and governed not-for-profit organization with nearly 6,000 employees who provide medical care to nearly 600,000 people in a nine-county area of Southern Oregon and Northern California. The multi-day wine and culinary event celebrates the very best of Oregon. For more information visit: theoregonwineexperience.com.