MEDFORD, Ore. (Aug. 17, 2022) – Three wines won Best of Show honors from this year’s Oregon Wine Competition®, announced tonight during the Oregon Wine Experience® Medal Celebration. The in-person and livestream event took place at Stage Pass, the new home of Oregon Wine Experience, located in Southern Oregon.
This year, 83 Oregon wineries entered their wines in Oregon Wine Competition with hopes of taking home one of five honors – Silver, Gold, Double Gold, Best of Class or Best of Show. Below are the 2022 Best of Show honorees:
- Specialty: 2021 Erath Pinot Noir Rosé (Oregon AVA)
- White: 2021 King Estate Pinot Gris (Willamette Valley AVA)
- Red: 2019 Domaine Serene Evenstad Reserve Pinot Noir (Willamette Valley AVA)
In 2021, a new award was added – Best of Class. Best of Class is awarded to one wine of any subcategory (i.e. Pinot Noir) that exceeds 20 entries, as deemed by the panel of judges. This year, four subcategories met these qualifications and here are the winners:
- Pinot Noir: 2019 Domaine Serene Evenstad Reserve Pinot Noir (Willamette Valley AVA)
- Rose: 2021 Erath Pinot Noir Rosé (Oregon AVA)
- Red Blend: 2020 Benedetto Vineyards Ricardo’s Reserve Red Wine (Walla Wall Valley AVA)
- Syrah: 2018 Quady North Mae’s Vineyard Syrah (Applegate Valley AVA)
“It was really eye opening and quite surprising, in a good way, to see these interesting blends in both white and reds,” said Eric Hemer, Master of Wine and Master Sommelier, and one of the 2022 Oregon Wine Competition judges.
In addition to three Best of Show winners and four Best of Class honorees, 19 wines merited a Double Gold, 21 took Gold and 159 received Silver. The full list of medal recipients is available here. These award-winning wines represents 14 American Viticultural Areas (AVAs) in Oregon.
The judges were also impressed with the Italian varietals out of Southern Oregon, as well as the representation of syrah throughout the state. Additionally, rosés were highly respected and awarded this year.
This panel of experienced judges individually scored 304 wines based on quality, typicity, balance and structure at the Oregon Wine Competition in July. The 2022 judges include:
- Byanca Godwin, Certified Specialist of Wine
- Eric Hemer, Master of Wine, Master Sommelier
- Josh Raynolds, Wine Journalist, Vinous Media
- Peg San Felippo, Wine Journalist
- Norm Roby, Wine Journalist
- Susan Lin, Master of Wine
- Virginia Philip, Master Sommelier
The Oregon Wine Competition continues to expand its reach throughout the state. Wineries can submit their wines to Oregon Wine Competition each year between April and June.
To learn more about Oregon Wine Competition or view the Medal Celebration ceremony, visit: www.theoregonwineexperience.com/wine-competition/.